Friday 10 February 2012

aim higher!

Over 4 1/2 years ago I was appointed as the Divisional Children's Officer in the west of Scotland with The Salvation Army. At the first regional gathering after my appointment I was introduced by the then leaders of the Division and I was put on the spot and asked to "spiritualise" why I had a small basketball hoop on my desk? It did take me a few moments to think of something and while there was actually no spiritual reason why I had the basketball hoop my response went something along the lines that in basketball you end to aim high to get a basket and my ambition was to aim high in my ministry with children because they deserve the best!

I still hold that this is true. And this was brought to mind this week when I feel that a group of fellow professional seemed happy to settle for the "status quo" rather than aiming for the highest and best in our ministry. While I am disappointed in the decision I am pleased with my holy dissatisfaction with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment